Innovative methods and production techniques are taking steel to new levels of strength, formability and versatility. In ZincAL®, the durability and service life of modern coated steel is extended even further.
ZincAL® is produced by a unique, efficient process whereby rolled steel is continuously hot dipped into a 55% Aluminium, 43.5% Zinc and 1.5% Silicon Alloy.
This patented coating protects the steel in two ways:
- The aluminium component of the coating provides a tough physical barrier between the extreme atmospheric conditions and the inner core of steel.
- The zinc in the coating provides sacrificial protection and also protects the steel at the cut edges.
The Safal Group – producers of ZincAL® – were the first in Africa to set up the Aluminium-Zinc (AZ) Coating Technology. This is done under licence to BIEC International Inc., the worldwide licensor and acknowledged leader in technologies associated with 55% Aluminium-Zinc coated steel.
Cross Section of ZincAL®
Steel: The most recycled material on earth
Steel’s most valuable property is its ability to recycle itself over hundreds of years without any loss to its inherent qualities. On its journey of reincarnation from washing machines to cars, oil cans to ocean liners or railway tracks, steel saves precious raw materials and minimises energy consumption. With global recovery rates averaging more than 83%, steel is one of the most sustainable and environmentally important products made.
Did you know?
- All steel created as long as 150 years ago can be recycled into new products
- Steel is the most innovative, recyclable and sustainable material of the 21st century
Safal Steel is a proud member of the Safal Group, which was the first in Africa to setup Aluminium-Zinc (AZ) Coating Technology. This is done under licence to BIEC International Inc., the worldwide licensor and acknowledged leader in technologies associated with 55% Aluminium-Zinc coated steel.
* The acronym AZ refers to steel which is coated in the patented alloy of 55% Aluminium, 43,5 % Zinc and 1,5% Silicon, also referred to as 55% Aluminium-Zinc coating technology.
ZincAL® is produced by Safal Steel, a company that is committed to deliver a long lasting, quality product that satisfies its valued clients. To achieve this, our brands are produced and tested in accordance to global standards. They are also subjected to:
- ISO quality system testing
- Quality inspection during production
- Quality assurance of the finished product (SABS product quality conformance)
- Artificial weather testing
- Live test sites
ISO Quality System Testing
At the core of our business is the aim to implement the ISO quality system. This ensures all processes are managed to ensure a consistent product is produced.
To ensure products sent to our customers are defect free, we have trained quality inspectors who are present during our various production processes.
During the quality testing of the product we focus on various characteristics such as mechanical properties and coating performance. ZincAL®is tested using the following methods:
Mechanical Property Testing
- Hardness testing (HRB and HR30T)
- Tensile and Yield testing (MPa)
- Elongation (%)
- Impact testing
- Bend testing (0T to 3T)
- Coating mass (g/m2)
- Cupping test
- Lock forming testing
To ensure we produce a product that not only satisfies quality standards but also performs under weathering conditions we have commissioned the following test methods:
Salt Spray Testing (Q Fog Testing)
Products are exposed for predetermined time periods to salt fumes at fixed temperatures. The time periods are determined by the various coating categories
Live Test Stations
Live test stations have now been installed at various locations for monitoring the visual performance of ZincAL® under everyday weathering conditions
The thermal mass of ZincAL® is significantly lower than traditional galvanised steel and clay tile roofs due to the addition of aluminium. This increases the reflection of the sun’s rays creating a cooler building in summer and a warmer building in winter.